King of the Beach Cobia Shootout
We are getting ready for our 1st King of the Beach Cobia Shootout. We expect a professional tournament, big fish and an awesome turnout. With new sponsors, a new T-shirt design, and great prizes its going to be a great event! Be sure to read all the information and rules before you register!
CALL 850-238-9975 or visit Florida Watersports to register!
Date, Time, and Location:
All times are Central Standard Time (CST). This is a TWO DAY tournament.
Captain’s Party : Friday, April 13, 2018, 6:00 pm–7:00 pm, at Legendary Marine PCB 4009 Thomas Dr, Panama City Beach, FL 32408
Fishing: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 4:30 am–> Sunday, April 15 , 2018 6:00 pm
Weigh-In: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 2:00 pm–7:00 pm, at Florida Watersports and Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:00 pm—6:00 pm at Florida Watersports
Awards: Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:15Pm-6:30 pm at Florida Watersports
There are 5 divisions; Boat Cobia & King Mackerel, Pier king mackerel, Pier Cobia, Kayak King mackerel & cobia, and Youth Spanish Mackerel. Any Person on board or on land that is young enough to not posses a fishing license by Florida state law may enter the youth division. (Sponsored by C&B Custom Jigs)
Prizes for the Boat Division:
Cobia: 1st-50% 2nd-30% 3rd-20%
King Mackerel: 1st-50% 2nd-30% 3rd-20%
Prizes for Pier or kayak Division:
Cobia: 1st-65% 2nd-25% 3rd-10%
King Mackerel: 1st-65% 2nd-25% 3rd-10%
Youth Spanish Mackerel: 1st-$100 2nd-$75 3rd-$50 4th-$25 (By C&B Custom Jigs)
Calcuttas available at captains meeting for Cobia and King Mackerel.
King of the Beach Cobia Shootout Registration:
Preregistration is $300 per boat, up to four(4) people every additional person is $25, until March 31st, at 5pm. After March 31st, at 5pm until the captains meeting registration is $400 per boat, up to four(4) people every additional person is $25.
Youth division is $20 per youth angler no matter the registration period.
You may register at the Captains’ Party on Friday, April 13th, 6:00 to 7:00 pm CST but, registration is $475 per boat, up to four(4) people every additional person is $40. The Captains’ Party will be held at Legendary marine of panama city beach at 4009 Thomas Dr, Panama City Beach, FL 32408 Registration closes at 6:15 pm.
Preregistration will be available in person at Florida Watersports. You may also call and enter by phone from 8am to 6pm everyday (850)-238-9975.
King of the Beach Cobia Shootout Captain’s Party:
Friday, April 13th, 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm CST, at Legendary Marine
Door prizes will be given out at 6:45 pm at Legendary Marine on Friday night. And again on Sunday at Florida Watersports following the weigh in during the cook out.
The Captains’ Meeting is not mandatory, but recommended at least one representative from each team be there. T-shirts, Tournament bags and door prizes will be given out at the meeting. You must be present for all door prizes. Door prize drawing begins at 6:45pm CST.
If you preregistered, you must check-in at the registration table at the Captain’s meeting to claim your door prize ticket and drop it in the container provided to compete for door prizes.
Tickets will be drawn out of the container and prizes awarded at the Captains’ Party at 6:45 pm CST.
Date/Time: Saturday, April 14, 2018 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm CST
Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm CST
Location: Florida Watersports. 8800 Thomas Dr Panama City Beach
You must be in line to weigh-in, in the parking lot, by 7:00 pm CST on Saturday or by 6:00Pm CST on Sunday. You must sign your weigh-in results.
Captain Blake Campbell is the Weigh Master. We use Official Scales measuring in increments of 1/100th of a pound. (All fish will be weighed on the same scale)
There will be Food and Music at Florida Watersports on Sunday, During and following the weigh in. There will be door prizes and give aways as well. There will be local restaurants cleaning and cooking the fish weighed in, as well as a local king dip cook-off if there is enough interest. It should be a great time and hopefully some big fish. Bring out the family and enjoy some fresh local seafood and get the kids involved.
In case of bad weather, monitor the Florida Watersports Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FloridaWatersports/ We will announce any change of date by noon on the Wednesday before the tournament date. We will also keep an update on how many boats have entered. The more boats we can get the better the prizes. That way everybody will know where to get information about tournament changes if there is a change due to bad weather and/or bad sea conditions. Going out is not Mandatory! Every boat is responsible for knowing their crew and vessels limits out on the water.
King of the Beach Cobia Shootout Tournament Rules
1. There are 5 divisions; Boat Cobia & King Mackerel, Pier king mackerel, Pier Cobia Kayak King mackerel & cobia, and Youth Spanish Mackerel. Any Person on board or on land that is young enough to not posses a fishing license by Florida state law may enter the youth division.
2. All times are in Central Standard Time (CST).
3. Participants must abide by State of Florida Recreational Fishing Rules, and all fish must be hooked and landed in Florida waters. (No Running And Fishing the Oil Rigs)
4. We ask that each team donates one King Mackerel to Florida Watersports for the after party and cook out on Sunday. You may weigh Cobia and King Mackerel in each day only one King per team will be donated. More will always be accepted.
5. No fish may be transferred from one boat to another.
6. Fish weighed must be caught on the day of the tournament. (By hook and line only no other means of harvest)
7. Preregistration is $300 per boat, up to four(4) people every additional person is $25, until March 31st, at 5pm. After March 31st, at 5pm until the captains meeting registration is $400 per boat, up to four(4) people every additional person is $25. Youth division is $20 per youth angler no matter the registration period. You may register at the Captains’ Party on Friday, April 13, 2018, 6:00 to 7:00 pm CST but, registration is $475 per boat, up to four(4) people every additional person is $40.
8. Regardless of your departure time, fishing begins at 4:30 am CST on Saturday.
9. Fish Weigh-in ends at 7:00pm CST on Saturday and at 6:00 pm CST on Sunday. At the sound of the horn, fishermen in line at the scales are allowed to weigh in. If you are late, you do not weigh. No Exceptions!
10. Participants may preregister at Florida Watersports in person or you may also call and enter by phone.
11. Keep a copy of your registration form in your possession in case there is a question about your registration. We will use a registration roster at weigh- in to check for your registered boat name. Copy is not required to weigh in, but you must be able to produce a copy if questioned.
12. Any and all disputes will be settled by the Tournament Committee. Any protest must be in writing with a $50 fee and submitted to the Weigh Master.
13. All fish are subject to inspection. Any mutilated fish will be disqualified.
14. In case of a tie (two fish weigh the same), the first fish to the scale wins.
15. Qualifying fish for the Kayak division must be hooked, played to exhaustion, and landed on a Kayak without the aid of a boat, or person on another Kayak.
(example: Fish may not be hooked from a boat and fought and landed on a Kayak or hooked on a kayak and fought and landed from a boat.
16. All boats and kayaks must depart from the waterways between Panacea FL and the Florida-Alabama state line. No exceptions!
17. Only bay county piers may be fished.(St. Andrews state park piers, M.B Miller County Pier and Russell Fields City pier) Must have Picture at weigh in with tournament identifier in picture.
18. All winners will be subject to a lie detector test administered at the weigh-in site by the Panama city beach police Department. Any angler failing the test or refusing to take the test will be automatically disqualified as well as the boat used by that angler.
19. Properly care for fish to be weighed. All fish to be weighed in the tournament must be well preserved as a fresh catch of the tournament day. It’s highly recommended that fish be immediately chilled, handled, and stowed to prevent deterioration, damage, and mutilation prior to weigh-in. Fish showing signs of improper care will be suspected as fish caught prior to the tournament day and rejected.
Commonly asked questions:
1. Can I leave early from the dock? When you leave is up to you. You can leave very early on Saturday morning, but you may not start fishing until 4:30 am on Saturday. You are on your honor not to fish before 4:30 am. (You may bait fish whenever)
2. Can I leave from another dock somewhere outside of Panama city Beach? Yes, you can leave from the waterways between Panacea and the Florida- Alabama state line. No exceptions!
3. Do I have to weigh my fish at Florida Watersports? Yes.
4. Can I park my boat at another place and bring my fish to the scales by truck or car? Yes, as long as you make it to the scales before 7:00 pm CST on Saturday or 6:00 pm CST on Sunday.
5. Can I get assistance getting my fish to the scales? No, you are responsible for getting your fish to the scales to weigh. That is a part of the tournament itself. Getting back from off shore and getting the fish to the scales is the responsibility of the fishermen. Your boat and equipment are a part of the tournament process. The tournament staff cannot help you get in to weigh your fish.
6. If I am in line at the weigh-in and weigh in closes, can I still weigh my fish? Yes. The tournament director will blow a horn at closing time and any boat or truck visually sighted or registered by the director will be allowed to weigh if they are in line to weigh. You can be in line or in the parking lot as well but you must have a ticket from an official spotter or director (spotters will be in bright yellow Florida Watersports shirts) .
7. How do I secure my place at the weigh -in if there is a line at closing time? We will have official spotters to sight trucks in parking lot. You must be sighted and get a ticket from an official spotter. Some people may be angry that they are late and can not weigh. This is a rule. You must follow it. There will be no exceptions.
8. Can I come down Saturday morning and register? NO. If you anticipate a problem preregister. Or call Florida Watersports (850)238-9975 it is important for planning and such to get an accurate count as soon as possible so please register ASAP.
9. Do I get a free T-shirt when I register? Yes you get two shirts per entry (Boat Division). The free T-shirts are given out at the Captains’ Party. Bring your receipt if you registered early. Pick up your T-shirts at the Captains’ Party and registration on Friday night at Legendary Marine PCB. If you preregister, just bring your copy of registration or your receipt to the Captains’ Party and pick up your T-shirt. (Kayak & Pier division shirts cost $10 per entrant.)
10. How can I get more T-shirts? We will have more shirts available for purchase at the captains meeting on Friday. T-shirts are sold in Florida Watersports and Campers inn. For $20 Get ‘em while they last!
11. Can I get a refund? No, unless the tournament is canceled due to weather or by Florida Watersports. All sales are final.
12. How does the payment count for who is fishing? Preregistration is $300 per boat, up to four(4) people every additional person is $25, until March 31st, at 5pm. After March 31st, at 5pm until the captains meeting registration is $400 per boat, up to four(4) people every additional person is $25. Youth division is $20 per youth angler no matter the registration period. You may register at the Captains’ Party on Friday, April 13, 2018, 6:00 to 7:00 pm CST but, registration is $475 per boat, up to four(4) people every additional person is $40.
13. What about the parties? There is registration, door prizes, and lots of talking and meeting old friends. The Captains’ Meeting is at 6:00 pm on Friday. Rules are clarified and questions answered.
14. Where is the weigh-in? The weigh-in is at Florida Watersports at 8800 Thomas drive. There is a big board with leaders posted. The weigh master is Captain Blake Campbell.
15. How many places can I win? Only one place per boat per species(same boat may place in king mackerel and cobia). This allows more winners.
16. I would like to donate a door prize, how do I do so? Please contact Florida Watersports at email@example.com or call Florida Watersports at (850)238-9975
17. Can I register early? Yes. you can preregister at Florida Watersports They are open 7 days a week from 7AM to 7PM.
18. How much fun can I have? There is no limit on fun
19. If I am late to the scales on Saturday afternoon, can I still weigh and enter my fish? No. but you may weigh it on Sunday. Being on time is a part of the rules of the tournament. Scales are unplugged at closing time. This is a very important rule and there is never an exception. This is the one area that always causes one or two people to get angry but, we make no exceptions. Be on time, or you will not be weighed.
20. How do you keep from having a tie? That may happen, but, we use scales which are calibrated in to increments of 1/100th of a pound. We can weigh a fish to 100th of a pound, for example, 26.37 pounds. If a tie does occur, the fish are ranked in the order they are weighed. So a 40.33-pound cobia weighed in at 2:00 pm will rank higher than a 40.33-pound cobia weighed in at 2:30 pm.
21. What if I have a protest or complaint? There is a $50 fee for all protest, Put it in writing and hand it to the Tournament Director or weigh master who will immediately meet with the Tournament Committee for a resolution. The decision of the committee is final.
22. What if I have a suggestion? Any and all suggestions are welcome. We want this to be a friendly tournament and great fun for the community. Contact Florida Watersports, with any suggestions or comments.
23. What about door prizes? Door prizes are given out on Friday night at the Captains’ Party at 6:45pm CST. You must be there to win.
24. Can I help? We usually have a crew lined up, but some help may be needed.
25. Will there be any pretty ladies at the registration? Yes, there will be pretty ladies and lots of handsome men as well.
26. If I am late, can I still weigh a fish? NO. No exceptions. Take this one to the bank. But you can still get your photo taken as long as our photographer is still on site.
27. How do you monitor starting time of fishing? There is no way we can monitor the entire fishing area. All participants are on the honor system and we trust you to do the right thing. Winners will also be subject to lie detector tests.
28. Who do I contact if I have another question? Contact Florida Watersports.
29. What if my boat blows an engine on Friday while I am catching bait and I have already preregistered, can I change my registration to another boat? Yes, as long as you do it on Friday before close of registration, or any day before Friday. You CANNOT change boats on Saturday, the day of the tournament.